Today, those that uphold the law need their own legal protection.
At Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall we have developed specific expertise in areas of interest to police members and management and their governing boards. In our 40 years in business, the area of Police Law has become increasingly complex, with police services facing greater scrutiny from civil authorities, the media and the general public alike. We respect the severity and importance of the outcomes of such issues, and believe that only dedicated expertise in police law can properly serve our clients.
Legal challenges arising from the public complaint process, human rights legislation and various types of civil litigation remain critical issues, while the courts' expansion of tort liabilities for public officers is a growing concern. Labour and employment law issues have also become more challenging as the nature of public officers' work and their relationship with management evolves.
With experienced lawyers and support staff working in key practice areas, including labour law and litigation, we can assemble a multi-disciplinary team of experienced professionals to manage any challenge you or your organization may be facing.
We use our experience and expertise to provide advice and guidance in a number of key areas, including:
- Representing police management and defending executive decisions in the public complaint process;
- Conducting prosecutions under Part V of the Police Services Act, including appeals to the Ontario Civilian Police Commission;
- Defending civil claims against police services and/or members;
- Representing police management before inquests convened under the Coroners Act;
- Interpreting changes in provincial and federal legislation and their impact on policing;
- Harmonizing police policies and procedures with new legislation;
- Representing police management in rights and/or interest arbitrations;
- Representing police management in human rights complaints and processes before the Ontario Human Rights Commission; and,
- Advising and representing police management on pay equity issues and complaints.