Leonard Morton Gold is a Lawyer and Foreign Legal Consultant ( Massachusetts, New York and United States of America) in the Business Law Group of PRHM. He serves as adviser to Canadian businesses regarding navigation of their US legal matters. Areas of specialty include mergers & acquisitions, private equity, corporate finance and securities. Leonard is known for his extensive network of contacts on both sides of the border, which facilitates comprehensive and efficient service to cross- border clients.
Prior to joining Perley, Leonard was a partner at Burns&Levinson in Boston, Massachusetts. He also served as Managing Director of the firm"s Montreal- based Canadian office, as well as chairing the firm's Canadian practice. Leonard provided cross - border assistance to Canadian companies seeking to develop operations in the United States, and to US companies desiring to establish a presence in Canada. He has lectured to Canadian entrepreneurs on doing business in the US, including financial sourcing and corporate formation.
In addition to his US/ Canada relations practice, Leonard has extensive experience in the legal practice areas of bankruptcy and insolvency. He has special expertise in assisting multinational companies on the impact of US Bankruptcy law, with emphasis on Canada.
Leonard is licensed to practice before the Massachusetts and New York State bars, as well as the Federal Courts of those jurisdictions.
- LL.M., Washington University School of Law,
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law
- B.A., Clark University
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Canadian Venture Capital Association
- Former President, New England-Canada Business Council
- Former Co-Chair of the Canada Committee for the International Law Section of the American Bar Association.
- Former Co-Chair of the NECBC Technology Conference and Chair of the program committee
- Executive Committee, Go North 2002, and Go North 2003, a middle-stage technology financing forum, Montreal
- Panelist, "Doing Business in New England", AmCham/NECBC Luncheon, October 27, 2015
- Moderator, "Canadian Life Sciences Companies Going Public," Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada Webinar, October 16, 2013
- Co-Chair, "Transitioning Technology into a Successful Business," NECBC"s 14th Annual US/Canada Technology Business Forum, May 15, 2013
- Moderator, "Lawyers in the Legislative Forum: Unique Roles to Play and Ethical Pitfalls to Avoid," American Bar Association - Section of International Law Spring Meeting, April 23, 2013
- Speaker, "Quality of Canadian Companies," NECBC's "Small but Beautiful" Event - An evening about Canadian Opportunities, March 20, 2013
- Moderator, "In Search of a Brave New World of Venture Capital Financing," ABA International Law Section Spring Meeting, April 19, 2012
- Moderator, "The Current Environment for Clean Tech Investing in Canada," Canadian Cleantech Investor Day, February 15, 2012
- Moderator, "Overcoming Financing Challenges for Life Science Companies," US/Canada Venture Capital Pipeline; Life Sciences event, December 8, 2011
- Moderator, "Doing Business in the U.S.," Newfoundland Entrepreneurs, November 15, 2011
- Chair, "Competitive Alternatives to Fossil Fuels Electricity Generation" at the American Bar Association Section of Internation Law — Spring Meeting on April 7, 2011
- Moderator, AQT — Best Practices — Management & Finance, "Workshop on opportunities for M&A in the U.S. market" on April 13, 2011
- Panelist, NETVA Laureates Entrepreneurship Week Workshop on the topic of IP/Trademarks, Human Resources, Incorporation, Entity, Tax and Regulations on September 16, 2010
- Speaker, "U.S Venture Capital Investing in Canadian Life Science Companies-Challenges and Opportunities" at the Crossroad for BioTransfer on May 18, 2010
- Moderator, "Life Science Investing — What to Expect in the Coming Year" at the U.S./Canada Venture Capital Pipeline on May 13, 2010
- Moderator, "The New World of Cross-Border Insolvency" at the Spring Meeting ABA Section of International Law on April 16, 2010
- Moderator, "Life Sciences Investing in a Down Market" at the US/Canada Venture Capital Pipeline on May 14, 2009
- Co-Chair, NECBC Annual Technology Forum on April 16, 2009
- Speaker, "Legal Tactics and Judicial Cooperation in Cross Border Insolvencies" at the American Bar Association event on April 15, 2009
- Host, "Forum on US-Canada Relations Under the Next President" at the NECBC event on September 9, 2008
- Co-Chair, NECBC Ninth Annual Technology, Trade, and Investment Forum on April 17, 2008.
- Moderator, "What U.S. Investors are Looking for in Canadian Business" at the US/Canada Venture Capital Pipeline on Wednesday, March 26 2008
- Moderator, "What U.S. Investors are Looking for in Canadian Business" at the US/Canada Venture Capital Pipeline on November 15, 2007
- Speaker, "Doing Business In the U.S." at an event sponsored by Amcham Quebec, The Council of American States in Canada and the Sherbrooke Chamber of Commerce on November 6, 2007
- Co-Chair, NECBC Eight Annual Technology, Trade and Investment Forum on April 12, 2007
- Moderator, "What U.S. Investors are Looking for in Canadian Business" at the US/Canada Venture Capital Pipeline on April 11, 2007
- Moderator, "What US and Canadian Investors Are Looking for in Quebec Businesses" at the Developing Profitable Partnerships in Quebec's Biotech and Pharmaceutical Industry Conference on February 26, 2007
- Moderator, session on "Canada-U.S. Cross-Border Successes and Roundtable discussion of New Developments and Factors Influencing Cross-Border Investment and Commercial Transactions" at the "New-England Canada Business Council Annual Conference" June 5, 2006
- Moderator, "Cross Border Investing" at the "Quebec City Day" in Boston on March 30, 2006
- Chair, MCLE Seminar "Doing Business in Canada," March 29, 2006 in Boston, MA
- Panelist, Cross Border Forum, November 16, 2005 in Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
- Moderator, Toronto Venture Group Breakfast, "Going Public in the U.S. — When, Why, How and Impact," September 14, 2005 in Toronto, Canada
- Moderator, "Maximizing Value and Mitigating Risk - Case Study: Cross-Border Venture Capital Financing," on June 10th, 2005 at the NECBC High Tech Conference
- Speaker, Atlantica Group LLC's Homeland Security and Defense Mission, Breakfast Briefing, May 26, 2005
- Moderator, "Case Study: Cross-Border Venture Capital Financing," 3rd Annual Venture Skills Summit, Toronto, Canada, January 26 — 28, 2005
- Speaker, "U.S. Venture Capital Financing of Canadian Companies" BioMedex, Montreal, April 2003
- Panelist, "Venture Capital Financing in the US," BioQuebec, Montreal, March 2003
- Panelist, "Canada A to Z," Mass Export Center, Boston and Springfield, November 2002
- Panelist, "Doing Business in the United States," World Trade Center, Montreal, June 2002
- Panelist, Canada Trade Conference, Boston Bar Association, Boston, May 2001 and May 2002
- "Grateful for natural gas help" Boston Business Journal (October 18, 2010)
- "2010 Canadian Federal Budget Removes Obstacle to Investments by U.S, Equity Investors" Burns & Levinson Canada Client Update (March 2010)
- "Cross-Border Insolvencies" (Spring 2009) Focus Newsletter
- "Exchangeable Share Structure Allows U.S. VC Investors to Look to Canada" (Fall 2005) Focus Newsletter
- "U.S. Venture Capital Financing" Montreal Business Magazine (April 2003)
- "Doing Business in Canada" (Winter 2002) Focus Newsletter
- "Overview of the U.S. Bankruptcy System" (August 1998) Commercial Insolvency Reporter
- Ottawa's corporate cupid - Ottawa Business Journal Article, February 27th, 2017 (https://issuu.com/greatrivermedia/docs/ottawa_business_journal_february_27/19)
- Participated in a new series by Radio Entrepreneurs (www.radioentreprenuers.com), which focuses on international business and opportunities in Canada, September, 30, 2015.
- "Talk of Hydro-Quebec dominates conference" (November 16, 2009) by Brett Bundale in the Telegraph-Journal.
- "Bostonian promotes open Canada trade" (April 15, 2009) in Travel New England: Boston's Airport & South Station Journals
- "Atlantic area should benefit from American green trend, meeting told" (November 8, 2008) by Mark Taylor in The Chronicle Herald
- "Expert: Capital available for region" (November 7, 2008) by Mark Taylor in The Chronicle Herald. "Capital-Seeking Expansion: investment entrepreneurs aim to create 'pipeline' between province and U.S, investors" (November 7, 2008) by Quentin Casey in The Telegraph Journal.
- "Do not hesitate to enter the game: venture looking to access wealth pools? Two expert coaches offer insight in Boston" (November 7, 2008) by Quentin Casey for The Telegraph Journal.
- "Need Access to Capital?" (August 27, 2008) by David Shipley in the New Brunswick Business Journal
- "Boston-Montreal commuter sells Canada south of the border" (July 18, 2008) by Kathryn Leger in the Montreal Gazette
- "'Corporate Cupid' joins local group" (July 3, 2008) in The Montreal Gazette. The article highlights Len's appointment as president to the NECBC
- "Venture Capitalists looking north" (April 30, 2008) by David Shipley in the Telegraph Journal.
- "Plenty of Room at the Top of the E-Health Market for Province" (May 20, 2007) in the Telegraph Journal. The article focuses on the growing need for e-health technologies and how New Brunswick is emerging as a leader in that area
- "N.B. eyes financial pipeline to venture capital in U.S." (March 15, 2007) by David Shipley in Montreal Telegraph-Journal.
- "Corporate Cupid" (March 31, 2006) by Mike King in The Montreal Gazette
- "Strictly Legal" (November 24, 2005) The Montreal Gazette. Len was quoted regarding the Pipeline events he coordinates each year, where pre-selected Canadian companies are brought to Boston for one-on-one meetings with venture capitalists. "It's riot just the money, but the strategic connections VCs have to offer," Gold said.
- "How the Biotech Industry in Quebec is seen from the United States" (July 30, 2003) La Presse, Montreal
- "Thriving Biotech Industry" (April 9, 2001) The Globe & Mail, Toronto
- "United States Human Resources Crunch Leads Companies North" (November/December 2000), The Biotech FIR Pulse.