Michael A. Gerrior is one of our Ottawa business lawyers specializing in corporate finance, franchising & licensing, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, and more. As a partner at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, Michael A. Gerrior assists his clients with mergers and acquisitions, cross-border deals, securities matters, and corporate governance. He acts for Canadian and international clients buying and selling business ventures in Canada and throughout the world. In addition, he has concluded private placements, venture capital transactions, initial public offerings, and reverse takeovers on various exchanges, including NASDAQ, CDNX, TSE, and ME.
Mike has considerable corporate governance experience, providing strategic advice to corporations on their ongoing business operations, including joint ventures, foreign licensing, shareholders agreements, stock option plans, wealth planning, and strategic acquisitions for both private and public corporations in the U.S. and Canada. He has led some of the largest financings of both debt and equity in Canada. Prior to joining the firm, Mike was an executive vice-president with a large Canadian multinational public corporation.
With his extensive expertise in corporate transactions of all size, Mike offers a focus on the big picture, while maintaining an unwavering awareness of, and responsiveness to, the constituent details. With that experience, his clients benefit from his direction and efficiency, assets critical to success in the fast-changing business world.
Mike is a frequent speaker and resource to Canadian media, television, print and radio on corporate law issues and ethics.
- Head of Business Law Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP/s.r.l., Ottawa’s largest independent law firm.
- Extensive experience as a corporate director for public, non-public and not for profit corporations.
- Business law lawyer for public and private corporations for over 30 years.
- Former Executive Vice President and Corporate Secretary for a public Canadian company employing 8,000 people responsible for all non-accounting related administration, including human resources.
- Involved in over $1 billion of equity and debt financing for public and private corporation.
- Experience in securities regulatory environment in Canada and the United States, including IPO’s in Canada and the United States, TSX, TSX V, NASDAQ, American Stock Exchange and Boston Stock Exchange.
- Extensive experience in merger and acquisition transactions in Canada.
- Former Chairman of the largest utility corporation in the National Capital Region.
- Extensive experience setting up and operating a professional National Hockey League team.
- Admitted to the Bar, 1978
- Canadian Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce
- Ottawa Centre for Research and Innovation
- Ottawa-Carleton Board of Trade
- Canadian Advanced Technologies Association
- Innovators Alliance
- Board Member, Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club, 2012 - Present
- Independent Compliance Advisor, Conservative Party of Canada for the 41st general election, 2011
- Rotman School of Business and Institute of Corporate Directors, Directors Education Program (DEP), 2011
- Co-Instructor: High-Tech Entrepreneurship, University of Ottawa's EMBA
- Contributing Editor, O’Brien Law Precedents, Partnerships
- Former Director, Ottawa Senators Hockey Club Corporation
- Former Director, Workstream Inc. - NASQ, Boston Stock Exchange
- Director, Equity Financial Holding INC.
- Director, Equity Financial Trust Company
- Former Chairman, Ottawa Hydro 1991-1995
- Lecturer, Ontario Department of Industry, Trade and Technology
- Senior Group Instructor, Ethics, Bar Admission Course, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Senior Group Instructor, Business Law, The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Editorial Board for Ottawa Business Journal
- Cancer Champions Breakfast, Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation, 2012 – Present
- Campaign Cabinet, Days of Hope, Care and Dignity Campaign, Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital, 2011
- Campaign Committee, Bruyère Foundation, 2011