Jennifer E. McKay
As part of the Intellectual Property Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, Jennifer’s expertise dealing with both national and international trade-mark portfolios make her an asset to the firm’s team. Jennifer is one of our patent and trade-mark lawyers in Ottawa with an expertise in the area of intellectual property law. Her extensive experience includes registration, licensing, opposition, litigation, availability opinions, transfers, domain names and summary cancellation proceedings.
Jennifer’s professional background includes working with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office where she was actively involved with the development of trade-mark policy and practice. She also assisted in training examiners and represented Canada at several World Intellectual Property Organization meetings relating to domain names and trade-mark licensing issues.
For a number of years, Jennifer was an adjunct professor at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law and is currently an active member of a number of INTA and IPIC committees involved with the development of trade-mark legislation and practice.
For the fifth consecutive year, Jennifer was recognized as a leading trade-mark lawyer by the World Trademark Review 1000. She was described as being “superb all around, extremely thoughtful, pragmatic and remarkably responsive. Her substantive knowledge of trademark law is incredible.”
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 1993
- LLB, University of Moncton, 1991
- BSc., St. Francis Xavier University, 1988
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) – Trade-marks Office Joint Liaison Committee
- International Trade-mark Association (INTA) – Trade-mark Reporter
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chair, H’Art Ottawa
- “Why you should register your Business Name as a Trademark“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, September 29, 2015.
- “Big Changes Coming to Canadian Trade-mark Law“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, November 18, 2014.
- “Retailers Win Round One in Quebec Signage Battle“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website,www.perlaw.ca, June 2014.