Joël M. Dubois
Joël M. Dubois is one of our litigation lawyers in Ottawa. He began his career with Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall as an Associate in the Litigation Law Group in 2005. Having gained extensive expertise and successful experience in a diverse range of litigation areas including employment and labour, administrative law, disciplinary proceedings, general civil litigation, commercial litigation and intellectual property law, Joël was named Partner in 2013.
Joël has represented many corporations, associations and individuals in a variety of litigation proceedings. His experience ranges from enforcing intellectual property rights to advocating for his clients in a variety of contractual disputes and employment law matters. He has appeared before a variety of administrative boards and tribunals as well as the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court, the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Joël is also an active member of the firm’s police law team and handles many police regulatory matters on behalf of police management. These include conducting prosecutions under the Police Services Act; appeals to the Ontario Civilian Police Commission; human rights tribunal proceedings; interest and rights arbitrations; as well as civil proceedings involving the police. Joël also uses his experience and expertise to provide advice and guidance to large and small municipal police services and their boards on various issues.
He is fluently bilingual and practices law in both official languages.
Perley-Robertson, Hill and McDougall has built its record of delivering the best and most efficient solutions, while minimizing the risks and costs inherent in lengthy dispute resolution, through the expertise and integrity of lawyers like Joël.
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2003
- LL.B., French language Common Law program, Magna cum laude, University of Ottawa, 2002
- B.A., Law & Justice and Political Science, Laurentian University, 1999
- Partner, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, 2013 – Present
- Associate, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, 2005 – 2013
- Former Chair, Student Recruitment, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, 2014 – 2018
- Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Regroupement des gens d’affaires de la Capitale nationale
- Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario
- “Un hyperlien n’est pas une forme de « diffusion » selon la Cour suprême du Canada“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, October 2011.
- “The Benefits of Arbitration in Commercial Disputes“, Ottawa Business Journal, March 2009.
- “Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act Changes Come into Force“, Ottawa Business Journal, January 2009.
- “Proposed Changes to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act:Personal Bankruptcies and Consumer Proposals“, Ottawa Business Journal, March 2008.
- “Internet Defamation”, Ottawa Business Journal, September 2007.
- “Fraudulent Conveyances & Preferences: What They Are And Why You Need To Know?”,Ottawa Business Journal, April 2007.
- “Investors: Beware of Internet Defamation,” Ottawa Business Journal, February 2006.
- “Tis the Season: Employer Liability and the Office Party,” Ottawa Business Journal, December 2006.
- “Buying & Selling in Cyberspace – Is Your Contract Enforceable” Ottawa Business Journal, July 2006.