Timothy J. McCunn
An experienced Ottawa lawyer with over 30 years of experience, Tim McCunn is member of the Business Law Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall. Tim’s practice is focused on corporate/commercial and securities law with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance for the technology and life science sectors.
Clients include a wide variety of entities from entrepreneurs, mid-market corporations to crown corporations, and not-for-profit organizations. With respect to the private sector, specific assignments include board and governance advice, initial public offerings, private placements, credit agreements, capital pool corporations, reverse take-overs, take-overs, purchase and sale transactions, independent committee counsel, joint ventures, licensing/co-development and distribution arrangements as well as complex commercial agreements. Representative transactions include: the privatization of a large crown corporation, the negotiation of a $275 million phased acquisition of a technology company, the formation and merger of venture capital funds; initial public offerings of Milkyway Networks, C-Com Satellite Systems, Neuromedix, Saxon Financial Inc., Canadian Medical Discoveries Fund Inc., Canadian Science and Technology Fund Inc., Annidis Corporation, Aztech Corporation, Magor Corporation, Percy Street Capital, Mercal and numerous share and asset sales, financings and private and public placements. I was also the founder and counsel to two technology incubators: Starting Start-ups and Bioquest Innovations and founder and counsel to a life science merchant bank: LOM-Bioquest.
Tim is also experienced working with not-for-profit organizations and public entities. He has provided board and governance advice, legislative drafting, and opinion work on a wide variety of issues as well as representations to government. In 1992, he was seconded to the Privy Council Office as Special Counsel to advise on the drafting of the Referendum Act as well as other matters related to the 1992 constitutional referendum. Tim has provided opinion work and other advice to numerous organizations, including may Crown Corporations and national associations. Tim’s experience in federal law also includes the privatization of crown corporations, and he has appeared as counsel before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal and the Competition Tribunal on customs and excise matters and access to information and privacy matters.
Tim is fluently bilingual and has been recognized repeatedly in Canadian Legal Lexpert’s Directory in the area of Corporate Commercial Law; Corporate mid-market and Private Equity.
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 1987
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1985
- B.Com., McGill University, 1982
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Founder and CEO, Mercal Capital Corp (2016 to 2019)
- Founder and CEO, Percy Street Capital Corp (2015 to 2019)
- Founder and CEO, LiveWell Foods Canada Inc. (2015 to 2019)
- Editorial Board, Securities Law and Practice, 3rd Edition (until 2013)
- Director – Smarter Alloys (2014 – Present)
- Founder and Corporate Secretary – Biovest Corp. I (2010 to 2013)
- Director Verio Therapeutics (2009 – 2010)
- Director and Corporate Secretary – Annidis Corporation (2007 – 2013)
- Chairman and Director – CogniSens Inc. (2009 – 2012)
- Chairman, Naturola Health Inc. (2014-2015)
- Member – Advisory Board to the University of Ottawa’s Management School (2005 – 2007)
- Director – NeuroMedix (2005 – 2006)
- Member – Commercialization Advisory Committee to the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (2003 – 2005)
- Director and Chairman – C-Com Satellites Systems (1999 – 2001)
- Founder and Director – Technology Investments Management Inc. (1998 – 2002)
- Member – Business Law Committee to the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario) 1998 – 2000
- Founder and Director – Starting Start-ups (1996 – 1998)
- Member – Securities Law Sub-committee to the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario) 1996 – 1998
- Member – Ottawa Life Science Council (2001 – 2005)
- United Way Campaign Account Executive (1995)
- Legal Counsel and elected delegate to several leadership conventions for a federal and provincial political party (1982 – 1997)
- “Will Legal Marijuana be one of History’s Most Disruptive Technologies?“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, December 5, 2016.
- “Legalized Marijuana – Lessons From the U.S. Experience“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, October 24, 2016.