Timothy J. Thomas
A partner at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall and one of our Ottawa real estate lawyers, Tim’s practice centres on negotiation and preparation of financing documentation – for financial institutions and borrowers, leasing matters, and commercial real estate development, including the sale, purchase and financing of commercial, industrial and residential properties. For over twenty years, Tim has served the personal legal needs of his clients through the preparation of wills, powers of attorney, estate planning and administration. He also advises clients on business transactions, including sales acquisitions and financing.
Financial transactions are complex, requiring not only a comprehensive understanding of relevant laws and regulations, but a continuing study of the ever-changing business environment. Small details, including timing, have significant long-term implications. The ability to act quickly and prudently is immensely valuable; Tim offers that efficiency and direction to his clients. Recognized by his peers for his leadership and business acumen, in 1996 Tim was named Managing Partner for the firm, a position he held until 1999. Tim’s leadership extends to his role in community service, being highly involved with charity and not-for-profit groups in the National Capital Region.
- Admitted to Bar 1986
- Baccalaureate of Laws (LL.B), University of Ottawa, 1984
- Baccalaureate of Arts (BA), Carleton University, 1981
- Best Lawyers 2021 in Real Estate Law
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- County of Carleton Law Association
- President and Director, Centre Youville Centre Ottawa-Carleton Inc.
- Instructor, Bar Admission Course
- Director, Make-A-Wish Foundation of Eastern Ontario