Alain D. Bourassa
Head, Intellectual Property Group
Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall has an extensive and expert team of patent lawyers & trade-marks lawyers in Ottawa. Alain Bourassa is knowledgeable in all aspects of intellectual property law, with extensive proficiency in the international coordination of patent and trade-mark registration and prosecution.
Called to the Bar as a lawyer in 1993, Alain is also a registered patent and trade-mark agent with a Masters in E-Business Law making him one of Canada’s experts in Internet law issues. He has over 25 years experience drafting, prosecuting, and litigating patents and trade-marks worldwide. With that multidimensional background and experience, Alain offers critical clarity in helping businesses and venture capital firms establish the worth of intellectual property.
Alain ensures our clients can capitalize on their intellectual investments by actively protecting and enforcing their patents and trade-marks – in Canada and internationally. Intellectual property is a key element of economic growth today; Alain knows how to protect it.
A recognized expert on intellectual property matters, Alain has written and spoken frequently on related topics. He is equally qualified to practice in English or French.
- LL.M., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2002
- Registered Patent Agent, 1994
- Registered Trade-mark Agent, 1993
- Admitted to Bar 1993
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1991
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- International Technology Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Association Internationale pour protection de la propriété industrielle (AIPPI)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- “Privacy and Security Issues in a Down Economy“, Perlaw Reporter, October 2009.
- “Re Bilski and the Subject Matter Debate in Canada”, Perlaw Reporter, February 2009.
- “Targeted R&D: Inventing to Order”, Ottawa Business Journal, August 2007.
- “Protection of Trade-mark Rights and the Internet”, Ottawa Business Journal, July 2007.
- “Meta-tags, Framing and Linking Issues”, Ottawa Business Journal, January 2007.