R. Aaron Rubinoff
Co-Chair & Partner
As Co-Chairman and Partner in the Litigation Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall, Aaron Rubinoff, has 35 years’ experience providing client advocacy in the areas of intellectual property litigation, employment and labour, international arbitration and commercial litigation.
Aaron represents clients in complex commercial disputes before courts at all levels across the country, and in domestic and international arbitration. He has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Federal Court – Trial Division, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Aaron provides counsel to employers and employees in matters of collective bargaining, judicial review applications, grievance arbitration, wrongful dismissal, employment contracts, and termination strategies.
Aaron’s work in intellectual property matters includes patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Your legal issues may be complex, but finding the best representation shouldn’t be. There is no substitute for specialized experience in navigating the complexities of the law. Aaron provides his clients with clarity in understanding their situation and options, and the dedicated representation to successfully resolve their issues.
Respected as an instructor in Trial Advocacy at the University of Ottawa, Aaron has also dedicated time to his community through his work with the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and other foundations.
We are proud to have had Aaron with Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall since his call to the Bar in 1987, and as a Partner since 1993. Aaron has been the firm’s Co-Chairman since 2012.
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 1987
- Bar Admission Course, Law Society of Upper Canada, 1986-1987
- Baccalaureate of Laws (LL.B.), University of Ottawa, 1985
- Registered Trademark Agent
- Queen’s University, 1980-1982
- Co-Chairman, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP/s.r.l., September 2012
- Partner, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP/s.r.l., 1993 – Present
- Member of the firm’s Management Committee, 1993 – Present
- Associate, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP/s.r.l. 1987 – 1993
- Marketing Committee, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall LLP/s.r.l.
- Frequent speaker on professional topics, including with respect to labour and employment law, commercial litigation, international and domestic arbitration issues
- Best Lawyers 2015-2023 in Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers 2018 Corporate and Commercial Litigation “Lawyer of the Year”
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Arbitration Committee of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, University of Ottawa Law School
- Chairman, Leaders at Heart, University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation, 2005-present
- Board Member, University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation, 2008-2011
- Past President, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Ontario
- Past Board Member, Ottawa Tourism and Convention Authority
- “Safeguarding the Arbitration Process: Court deters frivolous claims of arbitrator bias“, The Lawyers Weekly, September 16, 2016 (with John Siwiec).
- “One More Hurdle to Annulments: Contracting out of Model Law’s Article 34 limits challenges to international arbitration awards“, The Lawyers Weekly, February 12, 2016 (with John Sewiec).
- “Singapore Adds to ADR Mix“, The Lawyers Weekly, ADR Focus Section, April 3, 2015 (with John Siwiec).