Robert P. Kinghan
Partner, Head of the Business Law Group
In his capacity as an Ottawa business lawyer and Head of the Business Law Group at Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall partner Robert P. Kinghan focuses his practice on general corporate law, with particular emphasis on securities law, corporate finance, banking, and mergers and acquisitions counselling.
Robert has represented public and private issuers and their shareholders in connection with a wide variety of transactions, including private and public offerings of debt and equity, merger transactions and numerous acquisitions. He regularly advises clients on issues arising under federal and provincial securities laws and stock market rules. In business, knowledge is power and timing is a competitive advantage. Robert guides his client through complex corporate transactions with the direction and efficiency needed to maximize their success and minimize risk.
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 2000
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1998
- B.A., University of Ottawa, 1995
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- International Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Former Member, Ottawa Construction Association – Young Executives Club
- Former Volunteer Counsel, The Entrepreneurship Centre of Ottawa-Carleton
- Former Member, Ottawa Centre for Research and Innovation
- Former Member, Nomination Committee, Greater Ottawa Chamber of Commerce
- Former Board Member, Bruyère Research Institute
- “Temporary Relief from Certain Filing Obligations Under Canadian Securities Regulations Announced By the Canadian Securities Administrators in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic”, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, March 27, 2020.
- “Ontario Provides for Extension of Deadlines for AGM and Electronic Meetings“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, April 8, 2020.
- “Management Buyout as a Succession Plan Option“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, September 12, 2016.
- “Navigating Canadian Drone Law Requirements“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, November 2, 2015 (with David J. Lowdon & Bryce Dillon).
- “The Changing Landscape of Cross Border Data Transfers“, Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall website, www.perlaw.ca, October 19, 2015.
- “Insider Trading Explained“, Ottawa Business Journal, April 2009.
- “National Instrument 31-103: Protecting Investors“, Ottawa Business Journal, October 2009.
- “Preparing for the Purchase of a Business“, Ottawa Business Journal, November 2008.
- “Franchise: Expanding Your Business“, Ottawa Business Journal, April 2008.
- “Shareholders Agreements: Why Have One?”, Ottawa Business Journal, October 2007.
- “Corporate Law Reform in Ontario”, Ottawa Business Journal, May 2007.